Tuesday 17 January 2012

Working on a WIP (Or Maybe a UFO?)

Back in March 2010 we went to Albany in WA for the Ulysses AGM Rally and bought our Camper Trailer to tow behind “Snubby” the silver sidecar.

Shortly afterwards I found some lovely fabric and started to make a quilt for the bed in the camper.  It is a really simple square in a square block.  I made the comment “I nearly have the top pieced, so will be able to show it soon”.  That was at the end of May 2010.  Do you think it qualifies for WIP or UFO?  Yep, I think that equates to UFO.

I had some scraps left over of the fabric, so have made a Baseco Bag and bookmarktissue cover, Lavender bag purse and table runner and made the comment that I’ve had more fun with the scraps than the quilt.  There are still more scraps, so I’ll have to have another play with them one day.

Meanwhile, the quilt languished in a box – all pieced except for the borders.  The borders were cut and joined into strips, and the binding was cut, joined into a strip and pressed, ready to attach to the quilt. All sitting in the box.  I just didn’t seem to have the sewjo to finish it……..until now.

The Ulysses AGM Rally is in Mildura at the end of March and I have to have it finished by then.  Also, we are travelling to Mildura via Nundle for the Girls Day in the Country.  Yes, Mick is coming along too, although he has declined to join in with the stitchy day.  He will have a lazy day reading and wandering around Nundle.  That is an extra reason to have the quilt finished.

It didn’t take long. 

January 2012 001

It is now with my friend Val to be quilted.  I will just have to add the binding, but I’m a bit strange.  I don’t mind sewing on bindings.

January 2012 002

I’m quite excited at the prospect of it finally being finished.  I’m not very good at finishing UFOs as a rule and haven’t made an actual quilt for about three years.  About time I had one finished.

7 comments:

Cheryl (aka Kayly) said...

IT will be good to see you at Nundle. We're bringing our friend who is also going on to the Mildura meet. Her husband is going to meet us at Nundle. Maybe we should introduce Mick to him.

bettsylyn (Lynda) said...

I was going to say the same thing as Kayly. I think he was going to come down on the Sunday morning to keep on driving. Maybe we should get him to come a day earlier.

Fiona said...

The quilt looks fabulous... it will be a lovely finish... enjoy your nundle trip...
Hugz

Tracy said...

I'm sure you will have it finished by Nundle. It looks very striking.

Bec said...

The quilt looks gorgeous, black and white with a little red really 'pops'! It will be nice for you to have a travel partner to Nundle, I am sure he will fill in his day easily while you stitch.

Bec said...

The quilt looks gorgeous, black and white with a little red really 'pops'! It will be nice for you to have a travel partner to Nundle, I am sure he will fill in his day easily while you stitch.

Anonymous said...

Looks great Janice...Love the black and white and red... this is what I have in mind for my previous birthday fabrics... one day :)