Monday 2 February 2009

Have You Ever Seen One of These?

This was a new one to me. The mystery will be revealed......

I have finally found time to sit down and update my blog.



This weekend our Historic Car Club hosted the Bathurst Swap Meet (similar to an Auto Jumble). It is primarily for car and bike related "stuff", but there is also lots of general bric-a-brac. We always seem to bring home some treasures.
As we are on the organising committee, Mick and I have been doing lots of running around in the last week and were down there all weekend. There would have been about 3,000 people come through the gates. This keeps the Club going through the year and we make a substantial donation to local charities. It is a lot of work, but also a lot of fun.
We had a little stall and sold a bit of excess "stuff". Funny though, there doesn't seem to be much more space in the shed. Our best seller was doilies at 20c each. I had a big tub full of them. I bought a bag full at a garage sale a while ago and had selected the ones I wanted to keep and these were what was left. I also sold some fabric I'll never use. (Now I can fit some more in.)



We didn't bring home too many treasures. I found a needle book with racing cars on it, a few old quilting magazine and a quilting book.

And the mystery object..... It is an "Evans Rapid Tru-Line Hemliner". I've never seen one before, so it had to come home with me. Who knows where I'll put it.

As promised, here are our treasures from our trip to Kiama. The local church had a book and garage sale. Mick found the Birthday Candle Train. Each carriage has a different circus animal in it. The little boat is a nice reminder of our visit to the coast and I found a Margaret Rolfe patchwork book. We also found a few other old books.


In Robertson I found this tea strainer. (I don't collect tea strainers either - I just have quite a few.) I had to bring this one home as it has the old insignia of "Municipality of Bathurst". I know, I'm hopeless!!


The most interesting shop we visited was in tiny Taralga, between Goulburn and Oberon. We could have brought many things home from there. We treated ourselves to this 50's toy typewriter. The keys are just printed on it. You turn the daisy wheel to the letter you want, press the big button and it types that letter. Very labourious. It is in wonderful condition and even comes with its box.




They also had this very kitch table cloth that has never been used. I think it will be ideal for our picnic table on Historic Car Club outings.



On the home front, I have been doing a few stitches of the first block of Verandah Views. I hope to finish it tomorrow night so that I can start the second block with the bird bath.

No comments: